For some reason, wool clothing still brings to mind something thick, itchy and unpleasant. But reality has shifted already a long time ago. This blog post focuses on what makes wool so special and why merino wool products are a must-have for every child and adult especially in climates with different seasons.
No offence to our wonderful grandmothers but the memories of thick and irritating wool socks, mittens and sweaters still haunt our dreams. The mere image of itchy leggings is stuck in our minds. It has shaped our opinions of woollen clothes since childhood. Back then our parents and grandparents simply didn’t have access to high-quality wool and had to make do with what they had. Nowadays the softest wool comes from Australian merino sheep. Their wool fibres are long, fine, and slightly twisted and nothing like the coarse fibres of sheep back in the olden days.
5 REASONS WHY MERINO WOOL IS BETTER THAN COTTON
Well, is it better? The short answer would be "yes". A longer answer however requires some elaboration. It all depends on temperatures and the surrounding environment. When it's spring, autumn and winter, merino wool is the best thing. When it's summer, you might want to consider one-layered cotton or merino-silk but that's another story for another time. You just have to remember that merino wool only works when used as the first layer against the skin. Let's get to it:
- Regulates body temperature. Merino wool keeps you warm when it's cold and cools you down when it's warm. It's essential for kids, adults and especially babies who aren't able to regulate their own body temperature yet.
- Whisks away excess moisture. Merino wool is a great helper when it comes to sweating or damp nappies. It maintains its qualities like temperature control and heat retention even when wet or damp.
- Antibacterial and easy to take care of. Merino wool contains lanolin, which has antibacterial properties. You don't need to wash your merino items every time you use them, just place them in a well-ventilated space (like a balcony for example) and you're good to go!
- Suitable for very sensitive skin. Merino wool works even with different skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, because the innovation in wool production has created next-to-skin comfort. It has also been proven that merino wool has extremely low levels of irritants when it comes to chemicals and dyes.
- 100% natural. Merino wool is a truly eco-friendly choice compared to different industrial fabrics. And if it's labeled mulesing free, you can be sure that all merino sheep have been treated with love and care.
THE DOS AND DON'TS
Now you've read the reasons why merino wool is the best. It's time to put them to good use. For example, regulating body temperature and keeping your baby dry is very useful when new parents figure out how to dress their baby for a stroller ride. Accidents are bound to happen during long walks-naps and leaking nappies result in damp clothes. Merino wool worn as the first layer whisks away all the excess moisture, leaving your baby feeling warm and dry. The same effect will follow when wearing merino-lined hats and scarves. Merino wool is also well suited for nightwear and ensures a calmer night's sleep even for kids with atopic dermatitis or sensitive skin.
One thing merino wool hates is indoor playtime because when subjected to a lot of friction, the fibres simply break. In other words, active crawling games are a no-no because they will quickly wear holes in knees, elbows and elsewhere. Fortunately, blouses and vests are not afraid of such activities and can be worn on a daily basis.
WHY IS MERINO MORE EXPENSIVE?
That is a totally valid question. Merino wool items indeed are significantly pricier than, let's say cotton. Wool as a raw material has a higher price, because:
- It grows very slowly
- It can only be "harvested" during a limited period in a year
- Its fibres are very fine, which means significantly more raw wool is needed to produce the same amount of fabric compared to ordinary wool or other materials.
- It's a high quality material that has to meet high standards in order to maintain its certificate.
- Its specific properties make it a coveted material for the clothing industry.
DOUBLE-SIZE = SAVE MONEY
We know that kids grow faster than you can blink. We know that clothes are expensive both for the consumer and the producer. That's why we came up with a solution: double-sized items cover multiple sizes and last twice as long while being a bit easier on your wallet. This is actually a good rule of thumb for all children's clothing. Double-sized blouses, bodies, and trousers have extra-long cuffs and other extended and adjustable parts including wider waists, and multiple rows of buttons.
With Breden products the garment is also usually marked with two sizes: for example, if the size is 98/104, it can be worn by a child between 92 and 104 cm in height. If the product has only one size number, for example 98, it can be worn in one size range, for example 98 to 104 cm or 92-98 depending on the manufacturer. When you buy a double-sized merino product, you are actually buying two instead of one, which makes the price of the product is much more reasonable!
HOW TO KEEP YOUR MERINOS HAPPY?
The best way to take proper care of your merinos is to treat them with love and care. As already mentioned before, merino wool doesn't need constant washing because it has antibacterial "self-cleaning" properties. If you do wash your merinos, always use a wool washing, low spinning program and cool temperatures. Merino fibre is light and airy and high-spinning centrifuge "beats" it into a tough chunk of useless fabric that is beyond salvation. It's also important to avoid fabric softeners and hanging to dry. Maintain the original size and shape of your product by stretching and forming wet merino clothes and drying them on a flat surface. For more information, see our care instructions, where you will find the latest maintenance instructions for each Breden product.
SUMMARY: 5 REASONS TO PREFER MERINO WOOL
- Regulates body temperature.
- Whisks away excess moisture.
- Antibacterial and easy to take care of.
- Suitable for very sensitive skin.
- 100% natural.
If you have additional questions, you can always write to us, or better yet, give us your e-mail address so that we can write to you with useful information, exciting offers, and gifts!
Let's keep our little ones safe!
the founder of Breden Kids